Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cultural Oddities

This weekend I had the pleasure of going to the MT for first year students. It was very interesting, especially after drinking a lot of beer. I really felt it was a good cultural experience and I wanted to write about a big difference I noticed between Korean culture and American culture. There is a special bond that happens between people in Korea that doesn't exist in America. It really felt like every student there was really closely connected to their peers. This kind of bonding doesn't exist is America in such an open and inclusive way. There it is reserved for private clubs usually for wealthy groups in society. Everyone there is much more concerned with individuality, which I feel gets in the way of pure happiness and social comfort. In any case, it was refreshing to see everyone together having a lot of fun. It is something I never experienced back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment